Preparing for your child’s first dental appointment can be a little stressful. Our pediatric dentists and team at OneDent Kids are here to help you! We want to make your child’s first experience at our office as comfortable and stress-free as possible for both you and your child. Please explore this page to learn the best ways to prepare for your child’s first visit to the dentist. If you have questions about your child’s first appointment in Purchase, New York, and to make an appointment with our dentists at OneDent of Westchester, please feel free to contact our office at 914-750-4376.
When to Start
Our pediatric dentists at OneDent Kids recommend that children visit the dentist within six months of their first tooth pushing through the gum, or before their first birthday. If you notice that their teeth or gums are obviously discolored or damaged, you may want to bring them in sooner.
Preparing for Your Child’s First Visit
Our facility at OneDent Kids was designed to be as comfortable and encouraging as possible. We work hard to provide an environment that helps prepare children for a positive experience. Our friendly team of pediatric dental professionals strive to create supportive surroundings so that children will feel welcome and relaxed during their visit. However, children sometimes come into our office afraid or anxious if unprepared. We encourage you to prepare your child for his or her appointment with our pediatric dentists at home.
While preparing your child, please try to:
- Avoid scary language. Words like “drills,” “needles,” “injections,” and “bleeding” can frighten children. Our pediatric dentists and teams are trained to avoid these and other words that may trigger anxiety.
- Provide positive explanations. If you use positive language to describe dental care and visits to the dentist to your child, you encourage your child to have a more positive response to our dentists and team. This makes it easier for us to develop a positive, trusting relationship with your child. For example, explaining that a dentist “helps keep teeth healthy” can be much more effective than describing the dentist’s specific actions.
Explain what is happening. Sometimes it’s scarier for children when they don’t know what is going on. Knowing what to expect can greatly reduce dentist-related anxiety in children. You can help your child manage their expectations and make dental visits fun by helping them understand what will happen in advance. A good way to do this is through books. The following children’s books are helpful in preparing your child to meet with our dentists:
- The Berenstein Bears Visit the Dentist, by Stan and Jan Berenstein
- Show Me Your Smile: A Visit to the Dentist (Part of the “Dora the Explorer” series)
- Elmo Visits the Dentist (Part of the “Sesame Street” series)
For more information on preparing for your child’s first visit, and on early dental care for children, please call OneDent Kids today at 914-996-7786 and schedule a consultation with our caring pediatric dentists.